Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nutrition At Your Fingertips

I recently read a book (most of it for now, more about that in a moment), Nutrition At Your Fingertips, by Elisa Zied, MS, RD, CDN.  Oh my!  If you want to learn about the food values of various food items (protein, calories, other vitamins or minerals), or learn how to read your food labels and understand what they mean.  Or manage your weight, then this is the book you need in your library.

I was totally amazed at the amount of information that was in this book, and how easy it was to navigate and how organized the book is.  It has a very easy Flip and Find structure which makes it simple to find the information you need right now, and doesn't require you to learn everything there is to know about nutrition right at this moment.  (That's why I didn't read the book from cover to cover .... yet)  You can learn along the way, at your own pace and what you want to learn.  The book allows you to search for the information you want now, and pinpoint it, quickly and efficiently.

If you want to find the dietary sources of something such as vitamin C, the book will tell you what they are.  Or if you want to know how many calories you would burn doing various activities, there is a chart for that as well.   There is an appendix with useful resources such as other books to read, websites to visit and organizations to help you.

I know many people who have a gluten sensitivity and there is a sub-chapter pertaining to just that information.  It recommends ingredients to avoid and talks about Celiac Disease and it's symptoms (which we thought my Niece had, but doesn't... thankfully),


The chapters in the book are as follows:

  1. Carbohydrates
  2. Fats
  3. Protiens
  4. Vitamins
  5. Minerals
  6. Creating A Daily Meal Plan
  7. Weight Management
  8. Eat To Beat Disease
  9. Food Allergies, Intolerances, and Sensitivties
  10. Healthy Food Shopping
  11. Healthy Eatting Tips
  12. Foodborne Illnesses and Food Safety
Each chapter has many subcategories within them.  I am no expert, I can not tell you if this book has all of the information a person needs to know about nutrition.  I can tell you that it has one heck of a lot of information and that I was truly amazed at how much this book of 405 pages actually contains.  I learned many things that I did not already know.  And am thrilled that I now have this book in my library for reference.  Now, with this book at my side, maybe I will be able to take off the weight that I have been wanting to lose for a long time now.

How the book is organized (taken directly from the book):

Nutrition at Your Fingertips is organized like this.  First, the key nutrients your body needs and that are found in the diet, including carbohydrate, fat, protein, vitamins, and minerals, are covered.  Then I show you how to determine your daily calorie needs and create your own daily eating plan no matter your age or stage of life.  Whether you are trying to manage your weight, a diet-related medical condition, or a food allergy or sensitivity, you'll find how-to nutrition strategies throughout the book.  The book also includes information to help you navigate the aisles of your local grocery store in a more informed way, read and understand food labels, and ultimately fill your cart with the most delicious and healthful items from the basic food categories.


Elisa Zied is a registered dietitian and a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.  She also co-wrote the books:  Feed Your Family Right! and So What Can I eat?

This book was published by Penguin Group which is part of ALPHA BOOKS.  They also have a series of "At Your Fingertips" books on various subjects because time is the scarcest commodity of all!  Some of the book in that series are:  Wine, eBay Business, Spanish, and The Internet

2 comments:

  1. Glad your comments are open today, but I'm still not seeing what you mean about numbering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. # 2 I would like very much to read this book as i have a child with eating difficulties. And think this book would help us to get her eating under control. Or figure out what doctors can't. lrbraven at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I really do enjoy reading each and everyone of them.

BrendaLea